Losing weight while you sleep might sound great, and super easy, but is it even possible? Can you really achieve weight loss overnight? Or, if you come across a product or program that claims you can do so, should you avoid it? We’ve got you covered with some helpful info below.
The answer to this question is: not really. According to Healthline, if you end up weighing yourself in the morning, and you find that you have lost a bit of weight, it’s probably just water weight that you always lose while you sleep. Sure, you burn some calories while you are asleep, too, but that might not be enough to really make a difference in how much you weigh day-to-day.
Although weight loss overnight shouldn’t be expected, there is a link between sleep and healthy weight, so there are ways that sleep can impact your ability to lose weight:
– If you don’t get enough sleep every night, you actually boost your risk of becoming overweight or obese. Experts have found that being sleep deprived on a chronic basis is associated with a higher BMI (body mass index). Aim to sleep at least 7 hours per night.
– Sleep deprivation also has an effect on two hunger hormones, leptin and ghrelin. Put simply, ghrelin is what causes you to feel hungry, while leptin suppresses your appetite. If you don’t get enough sleep every night, they can become imbalanced, causing you to feel hungry when you shouldn’t.
If you have been experiencing a lot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, consider changing up your routine by doing things like:
– Gently stretching and meditating before bed
– Turning off all electronics, and keeping devices out of your bedroom
– Avoiding snacking late at night
– Avoiding caffeinated beverages later in the day
– Keeping your bedroom at a cooler temperature
Ultimately, weight loss involves eating right throughout the day, exercising to burn calories, and making it a point to get enough sleep each night. While you might lose some pounds, and it might appear that you achieved weight loss overnight, the truth is that it’s probably just water weight that you’ll regain once you start eating for the day. So, don’t fall for any products that claim they’ll make you lose weight overnight without putting in any other effort.